Are your car windows tinted? This is a popular modification because it reduces glare and makes the interior feel more private. But, if you do not clean it correctly, it will damage your precious tint.
Tinted car windows are a common add-on for cars these days. Tinting lends privacy and is helpful in reducing the damage caused by UV rays. These tinted car windows make your drive more serene, but you cannot let the dirt accumulate. So, how to clean tinted car windows? You will find it easy if you know some simple tricks.
What you’ll need to clean tinted car windows?
If you have tinted windows in your car, you know that they can get dirty, streaky, and hard to see out of. The sooner you take care of it the better, so read on to learn how to clean tinted car windows.
This is a great task for summertime since you can do it outside. First, you have to gather your supplies:
- large bucket or basin
- A sponge or washcloth
- soft-bristled brush for scrubbing
- squeegee for drying (optional)
- A lubricant like WD-40 or Armor All Wipes (optional)
- Car washing soap or a soap substitute like dish detergent
Equipment / Tools:
- Damp cloth
- Toilet paper tube (optional)
- Window polish or soap (optional)
Any of these items may be substituted with the following if you already possess them:
- Microfiber towel
- Glass cleaner spray
- Cotton swabs
- Microfiber cloth
- Throw washable window cleaner (available at hardware stores).
How to clean tinted car windows in 2 easy methods
Tinted windows are a nice way to add style and privacy to your car, but they do require special cleaning techniques. Commercial cleaners can damage the tint, and household cleaners may be too harsh for your windows.
Luckily, there are two simple ways to clean tinted windows without damaging them.
Method 1 of 2: Choosing a Safe Cleaner
- Use a special cleaner. There are several cleaners on the market that are specifically designed to clean tinted windows without damaging them or the film. These might be found at an auto parts store or an automotive supply store, or you can check online retailers like Amazon.
- Use baby shampoo. You can use baby shampoo to clean your tinted windows if you don’t have a special cleaning solution available. Mix 2 teaspoons (10 ml) of baby shampoo with 1 pint (473 ml) of water in a spray bottle, then spray it on the window and wipe it off with a microfiber towel or an old T-shirt that won’t leave lint residue behind.
- Avoid ammonia-based cleaners. Ammonia can damage your car’s tinting, so always make sure your cleaner has no ammonia before using it on tinted surfaces.
Related post: How to clean car windows Best 3 Steps You Should Follow.
Method 2 of 2: Cleaning Your Windows
- Roll down your windows all the way and clean them from top to bottom with a glass cleaner and a soft cloth or paper towels.
- Use a small, circular motion as you clean, so you don’t streak the window too much. If you do notice streaks, go over them again until they are gone.
- Roll up your windows about halfway, then roll them down all the way again to remove any excess soap or cleaners that may have remained.
- Wipe down the surface of your windows with a microfiber towel or a soft cloth that you can wring out.
- Squeegee the glass and wipe down the window surface with a damp cloth to remove any dirt particles or dirt from around the window.
- Use a scrubbing brush to rinse and clean off any soap or dirt remaining on your windows, and then use a soft-bristled brush to remove any remaining streaky areas.
- Wipe down your windows with a damp cloth once more and let them air dry.
- If there are still some streaks or water spots on your windows, you can use a window polish or a baking soda and vinegar solution to buff them out.
- Finally, you can use Microfiber towels/cloths or any T-shirts that have been thoroughly washed to dry your wet surface completely and prevent water spots from forming. You can also use old newspapers for the same purpose.
Additional Information on how to clean tinted car windows.
How to clean tinted windows with vinegar?
Vinegar is a great substance for cleaning your car. When you clean with vinegar, the slippery surface keeps water from collecting on the glass, which helps to prevent water spots. It’s also safer to use than other glass cleaners, which usually contain ammonia.
Step 1: Spray Windex directly onto soap-free paper towels or newspaper and rub firmly over your windows, including window frames and handles of your doors.
Step 2: Wipe your windows dry with a clean, dry paper towel or newspaper.
Step 3: For best results, wait for 15 to 20 minutes before driving to remove any residue from the window cleaner. This will allow most of the solution to evaporate. However, be sure you’re off the road before turning on your heat or air conditioning until you’ve waited for at least 10 minutes. Otherwise, the fumes may get in your eyes and make them sting.
Related post: How to clean leather car seats? 4 Best Steps For You.
How to clean foggy tinted windows?
Fogging problems in car windows can be caused by many factors. However, frequent causes of fogging are leaving the windows slightly open, leaving your AC on when the source has been turned off, or otherwise failing to properly use the ventilation system. If you’re experiencing this problem, try using a de-fogging spray or cream that can be applied directly to your window before driving.
To clean your foggy tinted windows, use a microfiber cloth, which is an all-purpose cleaning tool that can be used to wipe off any surface, including your dashboard and tinted windows. Just dampen the cloth with water or a car glass cleaner and rub the window in circular motions. The water particles act as tiny polishing agents, which get rid of compacted dirt and improve visibility.
How to clean tinted windows residues?
Removing film and tinted windows residues can be a challenge. Since the film is invisible, these residues can be difficult to remove, which can result in damage to your paint job. To remove these residues, you should follow these two steps – first, you must clean the window, then employ a solution that will dissolve the adhesive or film.
Check the manufacturer’s instructions before using any solution recommended on this page.
- Clean windows with a solution that is ammonia-free and water-based. The ammonia in certain cleaners reacts with the tinted film, which can cause it to crack.
- Use a brush that you can squeeze to distribute the solution over the window. Wipe away any excess as necessary, but be careful not to scrape or damage your windows with the bristles of your brush.
How to clean rubbing alcohol from glass?
Some people experience issues when cleaning windows and car paint with rubbing alcohol for them if they have installed film on their cars before. If you have done so, and you have scratches or residue on the glass, you can try using a mild scrub with a soft plastic material, or even olive oil. You should never use steel wool because this will scratch your paint job and can also damage the film.
How to remove black tint from car windows?
Black tinting on the car windows can be caused by a wide variety of reasons. The first thing you need to do is make sure that the surface is not damaged or has been scratched. If there are scratches, they could damage the tinting or film, which can cause it to fade away. You should also check that all of your windows are clean and without any residue from any other chemical cleaners.
Frequently asked questions on how to clean tinted car windows
What is the best cleaner to use on tinted windows?
The best cleaner is a combination of ammonia and water in a 1:1 ratio. You can use liquid dishwashing soap, hand soap, or any other kind of mild soap.
Can you use Windex with vinegar on tinted windows?
You can use Windex and vinegar on all kinds of colors as long as they are clear. Try cleaning your windows with Windex and water, then take a microfiber towel to wipe them down.
Why do my tinted windows leak?
Your tint may be turning opaque due to a combination of factors:
The car window was not prepped properly before you applied the tinting agent or film. You may have forgotten to clean the window thoroughly before applying the film, or it could have been improperly prepared.
How do I clean a foggy tint?
Fogging and streaks can be caused by the film not being applied to a properly prepared window. Though you may be able to clean the window with a mild detergent and water, cleaning it with a proprietary spray or cream is ideal.
Can I use rubbing alcohol on tinted windows?
Rubbing alcohol is recommended for glass surfaces only. It should not be applied to any other material on your car, as it can cause damage and discoloration.
What is the best way to clean tinted windows?
The best way to clean tinted windows is by using a mild soap, water, and a soft cloth or paper towel. Avoid applying pressure that may break the film or scratch the window. Be sure to dry your window thoroughly with a paper towel or cloth before driving or operating your air conditioner.
The best way to talk about how to clean tinted car windows is by knowing what causes the deposit in the first place. This will help to give you a better idea of what you need to do to effectively get rid of it. There are 2 methods disclosed above that can build up over time on your vehicle’s tinted car windows.
You can clean your tinted car windows any way you want. You could use a silicone-based cleaner designed specifically for cars. You can use glass cleaner. But to clean tinted car windows, we recommend something with ammonia.
If you have any suggestions please do comment and share. Thank You.
You may need:
- How to clean the headliner in a car?
- How to clean car seat stains?
- How to clean car battery corrosion?