How to clean stainless steel properly? a common question comes to mind every time. Stainless steel is an incredibly durable material, but it still requires cleaning. The problem with stainless steel is that it’s also a very slippery surface, so you have to be extra careful when cleaning it.
A stainless steel sink can make your kitchen look more modern, but it will require regular maintenance to keep looking its best. A stainless steel sink is not difficult to clean, but there are some steps you should follow for the best results.
The first step is to be prepared for the cleaning process. Make sure you have your cleaning supplies and a towel on hand because it will take two or three cleanings to get the sink looking its best. Wipe down the sink after each use and every few days, but don’t clean it more often than that as you will remove the protective layer that keeps your sink looking new.
If you don’t want to do it yourself, consider hiring a professional. These professionals are also trained to know how to clean stainless steel properly and will make sure that your sink is as clean as possible while still providing any necessary protective coating. You can find these professionals at local specialty stores or by searching online using the following keywords: stainless steel cleaner, sink cleaner, or stainless steel polisher.
From this article, you will get the right direction on how to clean stainless steel. Keep reading.
Table of Contents
Why clean stainless steel?
In order to get rid of any build-up of food, you have to clean it. The same goes for stainless steel. People will have dirt, grease, and even leftover dishes that have been washed in these sinks that need to be washed off. The reason is that they use stainless steel in their kitchen instead of conventional materials like porcelain or ceramic tiles.
To clean a stainless steel sink, you’ll need some cleaning supplies. Dish soap, for instance, must be used with warm water. Other things you can utilize are ammonia and white vinegar. To prevent any scratches on the sink, make use of a non-abrasive pad like a cloth or sponge.
Cleaning is not only necessary to remove dirt and grime but also to avoid rusting of the sink’s surface. By using stainless steel cleaners, you can easily rectify the problems that may arise when cleaning your sink.
It also helps retain the gloss of its surface. Once you finish using it and take it out of the kitchen, you need to clean it to bring back this shiny look. You can also get rid of any yellow stains or rust by scrubbing harder with a stainless steel cleaner.
The importance of cleaning stainless steel.
In the modern kitchen, stainless steel is the most preferred type of material because of its durability and robustness. It’s also easier to clean than other materials like wood or stone. This does not mean that you can skip the cleaning process, however.
In order to maintain its appearance and functionality, you have to clean it from time to time. This is very important because if left untreated, it would start rusting or corroding quickly.
There are 3 important facts of cleaning stainless steel, they are:
- It is said to be self-cleaning, but this is only partially true. It only means that it can resist dirt and grime for a few hours. When left unwashed for a long time, this will attract dirt and grime like a magnet.
- For people who cook in the kitchen often or several times a week, cleaning it regularly is necessary to avoid any stickiness or food debris from its surface.
- It’s better to clean it before using it. Otherwise, you might not be able to remove stubborn stains or grime from its surface.
What are the steps of cleaning stainless steel?
Stainless steel can be cleaned step by step. If you follow these steps, you will get new stainless steel.
Step 1: Remove the debris from your sink.
Make sure to remove any food particles, dirt, and grease off your stainless steel sink by doing the following:
Alcohol-based sanitizers- these work well to get rid of most kinds of particles. You can use white vinegar and warm water for this. Vinegar is effective because it has acidic properties that can kill the germs and bacteria on your stainless steel sink.
Step 2: Hot soapy water.
This is one of the easiest ways to get rid of dirt, grime, and fats from your sink’s surface.
* Apply a hot soapy solution and let it sit for a few minutes. This will make the grease loosen up and make it easier to remove when you wipe it off with a sponge.
* Beware that if you live in an area wherein a lot of mildew is present, hot soapy water would not be very useful. This is because the mildew will stick to the stainless steel sink, making a bigger problem. In this case, you should use bleach to get rid of it.
Step 3: Apply the steel cleaner on your sink.
The easiest way to do this is by pouring it directly into the sink. Make sure you follow the instructions on its label for the best results. You may also want to wear gloves and protective eyewear because some cleaners can cause harm if they come into contact with your skin or eyes.
* Cleaning with vinegar and warm water will remove grease, dirt, and any other gross things from your sink that have accumulated over time. Finish the cleaning procedure by using a white vinegar-based sink cleaner. This will make sure that your stainless steel is clean and shiny.
* The best thing to do after you finish cleaning it is to buff it with stainless steel polish. This will prevent rusting of the surface and keep your sink looking new for a long time.
How to clean stainless steel with homemade cleaner.
To clean stainless steel with homemade cleaner, you just need some ingredients and a stainless steel bowl. This is one of the easiest and most effective ways to clean your sink.
Step 1: Dissolve one cup of salt into the water in a stainless steel pan or bowl. You may also use a container that is made of scratch-resistant plastic instead. Use this mixture as your homemade cleaner to clean stainless steel, including the rim of your sink, the faucet, and all other parts of your sink that have grime and grease build-up on them.
Step 2: Apply the homemade cleaner to your sink. You just have to pour the solution into the sink, making sure that it covers all of its parts. Remember that you can use any other container like a plastic bottle instead, but make sure that it has a wide mouth so you would easily be able to clean your sink with no problems.
Step 3: Scrub the cleaner off using a brush for tougher stains. If it is a new sink, you will not need to scrub hard because most of the dirt that has accumulated on its surface would come off with just a little scrubbing.
Step 4: Wipe the cleaner off using a dry towel. Make sure that you do this gently to avoid scratching the sink’s surface.
Step 5: Repeat this process if needed, especially if your sink has been exposed to the presence of a lot of food particles and grease build-up over time. Make sure you rinse the cleanser off with water after each time you scrub the sink, so it does not leave any residue.
* This is one of the easiest ways to clean your stainless steel sink in just a few minutes. You can also use this method to clean other kitchen appliances like a stove and even a microwave oven. You can also use this same method to wipe off stains on your marble countertops, as well as any other hard surface in your kitchen that may have dirt or mildew buildup on them.
How to clean stainless steel rust.
People, especially those who spend most of their time in the kitchen preparing meals or even just washing their dishes, would appreciate a clean sink.
What makes a stainless steel sink be unsightly is the rust that builds upon its surface. This may look ugly, but it is not actually dangerous to those who use it. It only serves to make the whole sink look terrible so much that you might even want to replace it instead of cleaning it again.
Luckily, you can use vinegar to get rid of rust in your stainless steel sink. It’s a very effective and safe cleaning method that can bring back the shine of your stainless steel sink.
For starters, you will have to mix equal amounts of white vinegar and water into a bowl. Make sure that this mixture is strong enough to remove tough spots on the sink. Apply it directly onto the rust spots in your stainless steel sink using a soft cloth or sponge.
see more: how to clean white vans
How to clean stainless steel without scratching.
As stated earlier, stainless steel is a very durable material. However, this does not mean that it cannot be damaged if used improperly. It also does not mean that you can use anything on it and expect it to look new and shiny afterward.
Marks from your normal kitchen utensils may still appear on your stainless steel sink even after cleaning it with warm soapy water. This is why you will have to use extra effort when cleaning your sink so you would surely be able to maintain its look.
The following is a guide on how to keep your stainless steel sink looking new and clean for a very long time. Use these tips to get rid of scratches, stains, and other dirt that have built upon its surface.
How to clean stainless steel appliances with baking soda.
As stated in the previous step, you will have to use a stainless steel bowl and a little bit of baking soda. Here are some additional tips:
* The baking soda is used to dissolve any hard spots in the sink and other kitchen appliances that may have accumulated on their surfaces. On its own, it will not be able to remove stuck-on food particles or grease build-up from your sink.
* Next, mix vinegar with baking soda in a bowl to form a paste. Apply this paste onto your sink and on other appliances that you want to clean.
* Let it sit for about an hour, then rinse with warm water.
* You will have to repeat this process until the baking soda has properly dissolved rust from your stainless steel bowl or stovetop. Make sure you are gentle while rinsing and scrubbing the sink or appliance so you would not be able to scratch its surface again.
see more: how to clean strawberries
How to remove stains from stainless steel refrigerator.
* First, use a damp cloth and wipe the surface of the stainless steel refrigerator thoroughly.
* Next, take a paper towel and soak it in full-strength vinegar. Place the towel underneath some heavy object like a heavy book so it will soak up all of the vinegar. Let it sit for about an hour or two to allow time for the vinegar to properly absorb into your refrigerator’s surface.
* Now, grab your sponge or rag again and gently rub this onto your refrigerator’s surface.
* Let it sit for another hour or two, then rinse with warm water.
How to remove stains from stainless steel.
I have heard of some people who have their stainless steel appliances stained with red wine, which is bad in itself because the stain would be hard to remove.
Even worse is when you realize that a stain has been left on your stainless steel sink. Regular cleaning methods may not be able to remove this stain as well as you expect.
To wrap things up.
Most people would not spend a lot of time cleaning their stainless steel kitchen appliances, especially if they are made with stainless steel and have an impeccable design.
However, most stains and marks from your kitchen utensils may still appear after cleaning your sink with warm soapy water. This is why you will have to do some scrubbing until the sinks become spotless and shiny again. Use the methods mentioned above to clean your stainless steel sink in the quickest way possible.