Do you know how to clean the cast iron tub? Don’t worry. Through this article, I will share some genuine methods so that you can do it by yourself easily.
A cast iron bathtub is one of the highlights of your bathroom, if not the entire house. Cast iron is a luxurious, sophisticated, and timeless option. It might just be tempting for you and your guests to dip into it every day – until it gets dirty.
The cast iron bathtub is a stylish addition to any bathroom. Porcelain enamel is normally fused to cast iron and is used to coat cast iron tubs.
Despite cast iron’s durability, enamel coatings are typically prone to chips, scratches, and dulling over time. Cast iron tubs are easy to clean if you use the right products and techniques.
There are a number of reasons why a cast iron tub may become stained, scratched, or dirty. Check out this article for tips on how to clean cast iron tubs so that you can prolong the life of your unique bathtub.
Why do you need to clean the cast iron tub?
You need to clean the cast iron tub weekly because it is prone to stains. There are ways that you can easily clean the cast iron tub with home cleaning supplies.
What is a cast iron tub?
A cast iron tub has been around for a number of years and was most commonly used in the 19th century because of its durability, style, and strength. It is a popular option for homeowners who want an antique feel in their bathroom. A cast iron tub will last for many years If you clean it at least once a week.
Cast iron tubs are made by pouring molten iron into a mold, which forms a strong, uniform body. Because they are made of one piece of metal, cast iron tubs are durable and are better at distributing heat than other types of tubs.
Modern cast iron tubs come in many different sizes and shapes. Twin-size cast iron bathtubs were popular in the 1800s because they were easy to transport by ship.
Materials and tools need to clean cast iron tub
1. Cleaner (mild) to clean the cast iron tub
Vodka – Cleaner that removes soap scum, water deposits, and polishes shiny surfaces. Using vodka is also good for removing rust stains. Even though the tub is shiny, you can still spot some stains and debris on the tub.
Soap – Tub soaps are typically made of several different types of surfactants that create a bubble to lift and absorb dirt. Soaps leave scum residue behind and aren’t effective on oily deposits found on older tubs. They also may leave behind a cloudy residue.
2. Brush and sponge to clean the cast iron tub
Soft scrub – This type of cleaner is ideal for removing soap scum off bathtub fixtures, sinks, and tile
Sponges – Sponges are typically made of textiles fibers, which allow them to be porous, soft, and absorbent. Find a sponge that is sturdy enough to stand up to frequent use and can easily absorb water.
3. Cleaning cloth to clean the cast iron tub
Vinyl cloth – Clean vinyl cloth is ideal for cleaning a cast iron tub because it can be used to scrub and wipe down surfaces. Vinyl is also easily cleaned and won’t fray or fall apart after just one use. You can find these items at the cleaning supply or automotive supply store.
4. Teflon pan spray or powder to clean the cast iron tub
Teflon – Teflon is a synthetic polymer that is used in coatings and nonstick cookware. It is also a cleaning product that prevents residue from sticking to surfaces.
5. Bar of soap to clean the cast iron tub
Bar of Soap – Bar of soap is ideal for removing stubborn dirt from a cast iron tub. Create a lather by adding several dropped drops of dish-washing liquid onto the bar. Use the same method for scrubbing the surfaces of your brass and copper fixtures so that you don’t scratch or damage them.
How to clean cast iron tub with 5 methods
You can clean your cast iron tub with these 5 methods. It will help you to clean the cast iron tub easily.
1. Vodka Method
Vodka is one of the simplest and most effective ways to clean your cast iron tub, especially if you don’t want to spend a lot of time scrubbing it. Vodka has multiple uses in cleaning products, so you can mix it with other ingredients to create a variety of soap formulas.
Open a spray bottle [of cleaner], and add 1 part liquid detergent and 1 part rubbing alcohol. The other ingredients are optional.
2. Soaking the Tub
Soaking the tub is another effective way to clean the cast iron tub. You will need to fill the tub with water and allow it to sit for a certain amount of time before cleaning it. It can help you to remove soap scum, water deposits, and polish the shiny surface of the cast iron tub.
3. DIY Method
You can also clean your cast iron tub with these DIY home remedies at home.
1. Mix Vodka and Dish Wash Soap
First, mix a few drops of dish-washing liquid and water in a bucket or other container. If it is something that contains bleach, you can add it as well.
2. Swish the Soap around in the Tub
Then fill a clean cloth with the soapy water and place it into the tub to soak for a while. Wring out the excess water and pat dry with another clean cloth.
3. Scrub the Tub
Use a scrub brush and warm water to thoroughly clean the surface of your cast iron tub. If you are going to scrub the tub with soapy water, be careful not to get soap scum on your skin.
4. Rinse, Dry, and Air Dry
After all the dirt has been cleaned off, empty out the tub and fill it with clean water again.
Related category: How to clean a wave brush in the best 3 simple steps
4. Removing Soap Scum and Grime.
Soap scum, grease, and dirt build up on the surface of your cast iron tub over the years. Find a small bottle of dish soap, or make one with baking soda and dish-washing liquid. Mix it thoroughly with a bit of water in a bowl and use it to scrub away soap scum and dirt [from the tub].
5. Maintaining a Clean Tub
Another tip is to remove your cast iron tub from the shower enclosure when you are taking a shower, washing your hair, or washing your face. This will help keep soap scum and grime from building up on the tub.
Additional information related to how to clean cast iron tub
How to clean an enamel bathtub?
If you are having trouble finding a company to clean your tub or an individual who does it for an affordable price, there are a few things you can do to clean it
- You can use baking soda or mild soap to clean your bathtub. Mix the baking soda and water in a bowl, and rub it into the bathtub with a sponge. After that, you can spray vinegar on the surface of the bathtub and wipe it with a sponge.
- You can try to use a sponge, rubber gloves, and a spray bottle to clean your bathtub. You can also run the tub hot water for a few minutes and pour some vinegar in it.
- If you have an enamel bathtub that is not very old, you just need to wash it with dish-washing liquid and hot water and allow it to soak until the dirt comes off by itself.
- You can use a damp sponge and scrub the surface of the cast iron tub with it, but be sure to not get the sponge wet in water. It may take a few minutes, but the dirt will come off
- You can also use baking soda and vinegar to clean your bathtub or shower.
Finally, if you have a large cast-iron bathtub, you can use a solution of a one-half capful of ammonia, and a one-half capful of vinegar.
How to clean a ceramic bathtub?
If you are having trouble finding a company to clean your tub or an individual who does it for an affordable price, there are a few things you can do from your own house to clean it
- If the bathtub is not very dirty, you can use dish-washing liquid and hot water to wash it. However, if you have a large bathtub and you don’t want to pour all the water down the drain, you can use a wet sponge to scrub the surface of the tub.
- You can also create your own cleaner with one-half cup baking soda, one splash of ammonia, and three parts water.
- If your bathtub is extra dirty, combine baking soda and dish-washing liquid in a bucket or mop bucket. Add warm water and stir it until it becomes lather.
- You can also use a mixture of one-half cup of ammonia and vinegar to clean your bathtub.
- Finally, if you have an older tub, use salt and vinegar to clean the grime off.
How to clean an old stained bathtub?
- You can buy some type of cleaner that is made for cleaning the surface of bathtubs. It will have a variety of ingredients in one bottle. Some of those ingredients might be soap, baking soda, and vinegar. If your bathtub has hard water stains on the surface, use a hard-water stain remover to remove them instead.
- You can also use a mixture of baking soda and vinegar to clean the surface of your bathtub.
- You can also use baking soda and mild soap to clean your bathtub. Mix the baking soda and water in a bowl, and rub it into the bathtub with a sponge. After that, you can spray vinegar on the surface of the tub and wipe it with a sponge.
- Finally, if you have an older tub, use salt and vinegar to clean the grime off.
How to remove rust from the cast iron tub?
There are a few things you can do to remove rust from your cast-iron bathtub.
- You can use a sanding tool to remove rust from the surface of your bathtub if it is not deep. You can also use steel wool to clean the surface of the tub in this case. However, if there is too much rust on the surface, you might need to consider sandblasting or repainting it instead, depending on how much rust there is and how badly it has stained your bathtub.
- Sometimes, you can use a wire brush to remove rust from your cast-iron bathtub. Use a sponge and mild soap to scrub the surface of the tub when you are done.
- Finally, if your bathtub is not very old and it is just dirty, you can simply use mild dish-washing liquid and hot water to clean it.
How do you polish a cast iron tub?
There are a few things you can do to polish a cast-iron bathtub.
- If your tub is not very dirty, you can use the commercial rust remover to polish the surface of your bathtub. However, if the rust is deep and you want to remove it, you need to sandblast or repaint it instead. You cannot use just any kind of cleaner or paste on the surface of your cast-iron tub. You will need to work with the manufacturer of a commercial metal cleaner in this case.
- You can also use a wire brush to polish your bathtub. Use a sponge and mild soap to scrub the surface of the tub when you are done.
Another post: How to clean shower heads with vinegar.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between reglazing and refinishing a tub?
Reglazing and refinishing a tub are two different things. Reglazing is when you start from the beginning and apply a new layer of porcelain to the surface of your bathtub. Refinishing is when you clean and sand the surface of your tub down, and then apply a new layer of porcelain to it. You can also choose to paint your bathtub instead of refinishing or reglazing it, depending on how deep your dings and scratches are.
How many times can a cast iron tub be refinished?
Most cast iron bathtubs can be refinished 3 to 10 times before you will need to refinish it again. This is because the porcelain that is covering your bathtub is thick, and it does not wear down quickly.
can cast iron tubs be refinished?
Yes, they can, but you cannot do it yourself unless you are a professional who has experience working with cast iron tubs. However, you do not need to refinish or reglaze your cast-iron tub if it is dirty but not rusty or damaged. Instead, you can wash it with mild dish-washing liquid and hot water. If you are worried about cleaning the surface of your bathtub properly, consider hiring a professional to do it for you.
Is a cast iron tub waterproof?
No, a cast iron tub is not waterproof, but it does have some natural resistance to liquids and water. It can take a few spills or small water leaks, but it won’t hold up very well in the long term.
Is refinishing my tub better than reglazing?
Refinishing is a more expensive process than reglazing, but it will last much longer, and you don’t need to do maintenance on your tub once you have refinished it. Also, refinishing will be cheaper in the long run if you have to replace your entire bathtub more than once.
How do I know if my tub is steel or cast iron?
Steel bathtubs are made of hot-rolled steel sheets, and they are very durable. They are great for people who live in areas that have a lot of humidity and wear and tear like door handles. Also, because of how tough they are, steel bathtubs are usually more affordable than cast-iron ones.
How much does it cost to refinish my tub?
Refinishing a cast iron tub can cost between $75 to $200. However, you can save money if you do it yourself, and you need to buy supplies that are fairly inexpensive.
Can I refinish my tub myself?
Yes. You can do it yourself if you have experience working with cast iron. However, be very careful when doing so because it is dangerous and there are a lot of things that could go wrong with your tub if you don’t know what you’re doing at all.
How do you refinish a bathtub?
There are a few ways you can refinish your bathtub. However, if you are going to do it yourself, make sure that the tub is not bent by more than 1/2″ at any point on the surface. This will ensure that your tub looks as good as it can when you are done with it. Otherwise, there is no way to know how your tub will look after its first use after refinishing.
After all the descents, use a mild cleanser, it’s easy to clean a cast iron tub with these methods. You can easily see how to use them and learn how to clean with these methods.
The ways to clean a cast-iron bathtub are simple and very cheap. You don’t need to spend a lot of money on professional remodeling. Cleaning it is no difficult task for someone with enough patience. You can use your old bathtub or better yet, you can purchase a new one. The easiest way is to clean the surface of the tub by using the methods described in this article.