Hey! Do you know how to clean a used couch? A lot of people find it difficult to take care of their used furniture. Cleaning antique sofas could be considered a daunting task, and many are not confident in getting the job done right. A lot of people go to the trouble and expense of buying a piece of furniture only to find that it’s not worth anything in a couple of years. Let’s face it, most people just can’t afford to replace their furniture every few years, so the logical approach is to clean these items as soon as possible.
Most antique sofa companies don’t want their products cleaned and will offer little or no help with repair if you get something that needs fixing.
It’s very important to use a safe and effective cleaner that is both non-toxic and biodegradable. I use Greenscene Antique Cleaner because it has been around for a while, it’s not very expensive, and it works great.
Cleaning a used couch can be a difficult task, especially if it’s been sitting unused for a while. This article will give you some tips on how to clean your stained couch while keeping the cost down and not taking up too much of your time.
Why need to clean a used couch?
Couches are one of the most ubiquitous pieces of furniture in your home, and it’s not easy to find a way to get rid of a used one because they tend to be hard to replace. But “how do you clean a used couch” isn’t just about removing stains or general wear and tear. If the couch is an old or second-hand piece, it needs proper cleaning so that you can extend its life as long as possible.
A well-cared used couch can last for at least two decades, so proper cleaning is your best bet for returning it to its former glory. The process of cleaning an old or used couch involves several steps and products, but the result will be a piece that looks as good as new.
You should start by vacuuming the surface and cushion covers of the couch to remove any visible dirt and dust. When you’re done with this step, you can use the vacuum cleaner to remove any particular surfaces that are soiled.
You should prepare a spray cleaner that has been designed for cleaning stains and spots on microfiber couch covers after you have completed the vacuuming process.
Microfiber couches are different from other types of couches because they have large/giant cushions and they use a special fabric that doesn’t have the same look as other fabrics – it’s cloth-like.
What is needed to clean a used couch?
Different types of used couches require different cleaning methods, so your cleaning job will vary depending on your used couch type. For instance, a microfiber couch requires a special cleaner that is designed for treating stains and spots easily.
When you are done with the vacuuming step, take the cushion covers off and wash the cushion surface with warm water to remove any visible dirt on it. Make sure that you don’t wash or scrub the cushions too hard because it can damage them.
What is the best cleaner for a used couch?
The best cleaner for a used couch is cleaning it with a vacuum.
You could call an upholstery cleaner, but their prices are too outrageous for many people. Alternatively, you could use hot water and baking soda from your ordinary kitchen to “deodorize” the furniture yourself. One of the most effective ways to clean a couch (as well as most fabric items) is to vacuum it.
How to clean a used couch step by step?
If the couch has been in storage for a long time, then you can wait to clean it. A few months or a year of storage should be all that is needed. If your sofa stays in one room, then cleaning it out every two weeks should be enough.
- Firstly, prepare some water in a bowl and add some liquid dishwashing detergent to it.
- Dip a sponge into the water, and then wring out the excess liquid on the sponge.
- Dip the sponge into a solution containing mild dishwashing soap, and then wring out the excess liquid on it again. As soon as you do this, use this wet sponge to remove dirt from your microfiber couch’s surface using a circular motion on various areas of your couch cushion covers.
- After you have thoroughly cleaned the surface of your used couch, you should use a vacuum cleaner to remove any loose dirt and dust.
- Now, spray some soap solution on a white cloth and rub the cloth against the stains on your used couch’s cushion covers until they start to disappear. If you can’t see an improvement, repeat this step until all of the stains are gone.
- You should now use a vacuum to vacuum the dust and dirt particles from your used couch’s surface.
- If you have outdoor seating, consider cleaning it annually. This is especially important if your couches were outdoors all year round or if they were exposed to large amounts of dust and pollen that can easily lead to stains. You could simply clean them with water and a mild soap solution, or else you can use a mild cleaner for outdoor furniture.
- You should also clean your used couch if you notice it to be dirty, because dust and dirt are contagious, and if they spread from one surface to the other, you will end up with a stained couch. Cleaning your used couch regularly is an effective way of removing all these stains.
- When cleaning your used couch for the very first time after moving into a new house, you should use a mild soap solution and then use a sponge to quickly remove any dirt or dust that may have infiltrated.
- If you notice a tiny stain on your used couch’s surface, you could use a little bit of hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball to remove the stain.
- You can also use a solution of mild dishwashing liquid and water to clean your used couch’s surface as well as its fabric.
- If you feel that your used couch needs more cleaning, then you should use an abrasive cleaner to scrub the couch and all its cushion covers thoroughly.
- If you have a microfiber couch and it has become creased, then you can use water, a soft damp cloth, and a mild dishwashing detergent solution to take care of the problem.
- You should also consider cleaning the microfiber couch’s surface annually to prevent stains.
- If you have an outdoor lounge chair or small patio set, then you should consider cleaning it every time it is moved into a new house or every year if its location does not change frequently.
How to easily clean a used couch on Reddit?
- Begin with a damp (but not soaking) terry cloth.
- Gently wipe the furniture surfaces with the cloth and allow them to air dry for about 10 minutes. 3. Swirl lemon juice into a spray bottle of cold water and spritz furniture surfaces with this solution.
- Apply hydrogen peroxide, which has been distilled from fruits, flowers, plants, and animal tissue over the fabric fibers liberally but be careful to protect your skin because it can make you look awful if you’re careless.
- Allow the chairs to air dry for about 10 minutes.
- Use a damp cloth to wipe the wood surfaces, and smooth out any obvious wrinkles that may have developed during cleaning.
- Apply aloe vera gel over the fabric and wooden surfaces, which will soothe the skin as well as reduce moisture and prevent dust from settling in.
- Use a clean, dry cloth to wipe off the aloe vera and pat it with a separate clean cloth.
- Rub scotch-Brite over wooden surfaces and buff until it shines.
- Apply furniture polish to all surfaces of the couch
How do you clean fabric couches naturally?
- Brush the entire surface with a damp cloth to remove any dirt or dust.
- Wipe the fabric with a mixture of 1 part bleach and 9 parts water, holding it just below where you can see wear on the fabric.
- Wash the fabric in your washing machine or by hand using warm soapy water and then dry it on low heat in an area not close to any heat sources like windowsills or radiators.
- If the fabric has a pattern, you may wish to cover it with a sheet.
- If the couch is water damaged (has mildew), you should try to get the damage dry-cleaned at a professional cleaning service; it is illegal for you to try and clean it yourself.
- You may wipe down hard surfaces with a damp cloth and then carefully dust them with baby powder, powdered talc, or flour.
- Vacuum all interior surfaces to remove any dust and dirt, making sure to use the upholstery attachment and not a small brush.
- If you want to make your couch look cleaner, you can try this cleaning process which is similar to professional cleaning:
- For those who don’t have time to clean their couch, they can throw a blanket over it, put some plastic on it or even sleep on it to avoid stains and spills.
- You might also want to replace the cushions.
- If you have pets, check out this article on cleaning animal hair off your couch (or anything else).
- Some recommend a spot remover substance, but if you haven’t tried it yet, don’t be surprised if you find it doesn’t work.
How to properly clean a couch without a machine?
- Allow the couch to dry out for a couple of hours.
- Douse a piece of cloth with rubbing alcohol, spray with water, and scrub the surface that you want to clean in circular motions with your hands.
- Take a paper towel to remove all the liquid alcohol from the couch’s surface and use it on any other stains you might have missed while cleaning.
- Repeat the process several times, until the stains are completely removed.
- After the couch has dried, cover it with a protective cover to help protect it from dust, dirt, and any other fluids that might occur in the future.
- Apply a colored dye to make your couch’s color look vibrant and new if needed.
How to easily clean a used leather couch?
- A couch that’s been used for some time will likely have some stains or dirt on and in the places where people sit.
- Lay down wool felt to absorb the liquid and keep them from being redistributed.
- In between each stain, use your fingers to rub in a circular motion so that little grains of dirt are removed with each stroke and the stain is pushed out of its folds.
- Brush the vinyl couch’s surface with a stiff brush to remove dirt and other unwanted particles.
- Apply leather conditioner to make it gleam while protecting it from any further damage.
- Clean it up as often as possible to avoid any unwanted problems like mold and mildew, which can cause little stains that require cleaning, then cleaning again and again.
Frequently asked some questions about how to clean a used couch
How do you deep clean a used fabric sofa?
Arguably the most difficult and perhaps the most important part of deep cleaning a couch is making sure that it will be able to last for years to come. After all, this is a couch that you are going to live with, sit on, and use frequently. So finding ways to make it last as long as possible is critical.
Clean upholstery fabrics like polyester, cotton, or silk require special attention to remove as much dirt and dust from the fibers as possible.
How do I clean and sanitize my couch?
If you simply want to clean your couch, then there are ways in which you can do this. First, you will need to make sure that the leather or fabric is dry before you apply any cleaning products. You will also want to make sure that the stains are removed before they begin to spread and cause more damage.
What is the best thing to clean a fabric sofa?
However, it does not mean that you should use any cleaning agents on your fabrics or leathers. For starters, avoid using too much water when cleaning. If the couch is made from fabric, then you should spray the stain with a cleaner made specifically for such surfaces.
What do I use to clean a couch?
In general, you are going to want to make sure that the upholstery is dry before you begin to apply any treatments or special cleaners which will be used to remove stains and other messes.
video credit: DIY Lily Ardor
Conclusion of how to clean a used couch:
Cleaning upholstery fabrics like polyester, cotton, and silk requires special attention because of their delicate nature. This is why it is important to make sure that your couches are dry before any type of cleaning product is applied to them.
So, if you are looking for a way how to clean your couch, then we hope that the above tips will be of help to you.